Sunday, November 20, 2011

Where the Wild Things Are --- at least in San Diego!

After a day at sea we arrived in the port of San Diego.  We went to the San Diego Wild Safari Park.  This was another day full of walking and in a much warmer temperature.

We signed up for a tram safari and thought it would be at least a two hour ride -- it was only 30 minutes.  The driver would slow down for us to see animals but never really came to a complete stop.  I did manage to get some great shots any way.

Something I really got excited about is this little one.  This baby elephant was only a few days old when we visited.  How sweet can you get?!?

Here's some other photos of the wildlife.  Enjoy!!


Reflection of a crane

What a grump!!

Is it a donkey? A zebra? The guide told us but I can't remember.  What I do remember is that they are almost extinct.





Just look into those eyes






I think this is a pelican - he just gave me the creeps.....




Next up -- bad hair day at the Safari Park!!!


5 comments:

Valerie said...

Hi Whimsey Girl!
I believe they are named Okapi... or something close. I live in San Diego, and always took my sons to the zoo and wild animal park when they were little. We always stopped and watched these gentle animals that are a cross between zebra and another animal... My sons are teens now, so my memory is getting a little rusty! So glad you are enjoying San Diego :o)
x, Val

Di said...

WONDERFUL photos - before I read the comment from Valerie |I was going to suggest that they could be 'Ze-donks' due to the mixed markings :) Totally love the photos - keep 'em coming girl :)) Di xxx

NM is 2012 - still deciding on May or later such as August/Sept - I do promise to email ASAP chick!! Life is manic here and it's as much as I can do to try to seem a bit sane on my blog!!XXX

Robin said...

Wow what awesome photos. Yes I would think a tram ride through the zoo would be a little longer too. At least you got some terrific photos...and the baby elephant is precious!

I live in California but have never been to the SD Zoo. Although when I lived in New Mexico I use to take my oldest son (who's 29 now), when he was a baby, to the Albuquerque Zoo. He loved it.

Thanks for sharing your adventure!

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Thanks for popping over at my blog and glad you enjoyed it - and did yours! and how about cute Tulip on post below! love it, Shaz in oz.x

Unknown said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I got to visit the SD Zoo 2 years ago and I was such a suck about the heat that I cheated and took the bus around the entire Zoo...lol!

Sandy xox