Thursday, September 27, 2012

Knitted Cowls

I've been getting ready for an Arts and Crafts Fair.  My booth will have a bit of this and a bit of that.  One thing that I enjoy making are cowls.  You wear them around your neck and it's amazing how nice and warm they are.

I've knitted this one using Lion Brand Tweed Stripes in the colorway Caribbean.  This yarn is 100% acrylic.   I usually use fibers like alpaca, bamboo, wool and cotton.  But I must say - I love this yarn.  It's nice and soft and was so easy to work with.  I had enough yarn to make a little something else so I decided to make a cowl for a child.  I've not done that before so don't know if they'll be popular or not.  No dragging of the scarf behind and no leaving it somewhere - it makes sense to me.
Child cowl (or adult headband)

I knitted these in the round using circular needles.  I LOVE circular needles.  Here's what I did.  I wanted the cowl to be around 23 inches round.   You might want to check your gauge  before you start.  
Using a size 10 16" long circular needle, cast on 115 stitches.  Place a marker if you want.  Knit four rows.  Purl one row.  Knit rows until the cowl measures around 9 inches.  Purl one row.  Knit four rows.  Bind off.  You can make the cowl any length and width you want.  I've knitted some using a finer yarn and knitted them long enough to pull up over the head.

The child one measures 15 inches round.  I put it on my head and it was almost big enough for a headband (and it's wide enough to cover the ears).

They were fun to knit up.  What about you?  Are you a knitter?  Do you have a favorite project?

Peace,
Kay



10 comments:

SandeeNC said...

NOT a knitter, but glad I have friends like you to make something for me...lol They look great! When is your craft fair? waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

RosA said...

Love those blue colours, just gorgeous! And I absolutely LOVE my circular needles. Lately I have been buying bamboo ones, which are really nice to use. I have only ever used steel needles and thought they were the best thing ever, but I have had to change my mind about that!
Good luck with the craft fair.

Annie said...

Hi Kay,
I missed you on Wednesday so it's good to see you here today. Love the colours of your cowl. It looks really warm and snuggly....just what's needed on a cold, wet, gloomy Friday :-)
Hugs,
A x

okienurse said...

Love those beautiful colors. I was wondering where you were Wednesday and now I see you have been very busy! when is the craft fair? Hope you do well at it. Have a great week and hope to see you on WOYWW next week.

Di said...

Hi Kay, this is gorgeous, love those colours too. See, I can do 'not pink'. So sweet to give the instructions - I think I might give one a whirl especially as it's acrylic. Just thinking, aren't headbands terribly 'on trend' too??

Take care, hugs, Di xx

Redanne said...

Hi Kay, love your gorgeous cowls, I bet they sell very quickly. I love knitting but don't do much of it these days, just mittens and fingerless gloves really and I do tend to use Alpaca yarn or wool but acrylic is so versatile and so easily washable. Love the colour you have used and thanks for the details, might just have to have a go at one! Crafty hugs, Anne x

Joynana said...

Kay, thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving me such a wonderful comment. I have a friend who is a money manager where I work and she helped me to figure out what my cards and other projects should cost. She is great with that kind of thing. I have never had a complain. I am going to have mostly sets of note cards, individual birthday and other cards. I want to try and make a couple of Christmas mini albums. But, time is short. Good luck with you craft fair.

May said...

Hi Kay, these look fantastic I would love to try this.. I have never knitted before with circular needles? but I am going to have a go... as we all decided as a family to have a homemade Christmas this year!! these would make fabby gifts for my daughters!! they both have been busy making Jams and chutneys!! thank you for the inspiration... I adore the colours in this yarn.. does it have a name?.. Have a super time with the craft fair prep!! Hugs May x x x

Princess Judy Palmer said...

I would love to know how to knit but probably I should only concentrate on one hobby at a time. I can barely afford the one I have now. The cowls look great and since they aren't attached to anything you can pull them off if you get too hot.

Connie said...

Hi Kay, these are beautiful. Best wishes for a wonderful market day .. . I'll be looking forward to hearing how you do. Have fun! Connie :)